Friday, August 29, 2014

More Renovation!

This time it is our master bathroom, after 15 years the tub/shower combo and outdated vanity had to go.
It always made me feel so claustrophobic it was very closed in and made a narrow room seem even tighter.
This is how it used to look.
Here is how the demolition is progressing
 Tub/shower unit is gone to make way for the frameless glass shower……….
and half the wall between the shower and toilet cut down to be replaced by glass. Some of the plumbing has to be rerouted and the drain moved, then we'll be ready for the tiler on Tuesday.
The cabinets, a dark espresso called "Mocha Shaker" are on order but meantime we can continue to use the vanity as DH just cut away the cabinets and left the top, the family bathroom vanity is too small for both of us to be using for any length of time. I ordered our cabinets from RTA Cabinets, all wood, dovetailed corners and soft close drawers and the price is amazing! RTA is the company our nephew in Boston uses for many of his renovations, having seen the quality first hand I know what we are getting and compared with Home Depot etc it's about half the cost and twice the quality. 
The brown travertine on the floor will also be on the shower walls and the lighter tile on shower floor and trim. The brown is lighter than it shows in the pic and being a natural stone varies quite a lot. I love the feel of it underfoot, never chilly like porcelain or ceramic and not slippery either. Our tiler "Keltic Tile ", is well known to us for many years and his work is both artistically lovely and structurally sound.
I found this Portuguese bowl and the lovely candle both on clearance at TJMaxx Home store, the bowl is the color I will paint the walls of our renovated bathroom. I think it will look very well with the dark chocolate color of the vanity and the large white vessel sinks.
I have yet to choose the granite when I return from CA. the end of next week, the same company that did our kitchen about three years ago, "City Of Stone" will do the vanity top. 
 I have chosen the new mirrors 26"x36" and think they will fit in very nicely.
By the time I return next Friday the tile work will be close to finished, I can't wait to see it and DH has been instructed to send progress pics.
My next post will be from our California quilt retreat at Big Bear Lake, cooler weather no doubt than The Valley Of The Sun.

No comments: