Monday, November 2, 2015

An Aussie Quilt

For years I have had a stash of Aussie fabrics that need to be in quilts and out of my stash. Many of them are hand dyes from a now extinct company Oz Dye Arts, two young women who became very successful to the point that it impacted their families so they retired the business to raise children. Sad as I was I could not but admire their decision and hope some day they may return to their craft.
I had the opportunity to visit their studio/workshop in Holland Park, Queensland once when I was DownUnder visiting family and of course did a little shopping!
I used this pattern idea, adapting the measurements to my own needs.
I enlarged it to about 55"x75" for a lap quilt. I have struggled to find a way to use them since most pieces were only FQ or at most a half yard. The detail pics below show some of the cute iconic figures these talented women used for their unusual fabrics.
 The background and the red trim are not from this company but part of the collection by M and S Textiles Australia who have produced fabrics from some amazing designs by Aboriginal artists, they have to be seen to be believed, colorful and beautiful depictions of the native culture.
The background fabric is called "Seeds".
Now to decide how to quilt it!

4 comments:

Cactusneedle said...

Love the fabrics and love what you did with them!

Anonymous said...

Is there a boomerang pattern for quiltin?

Heather said...

i have a stash of Australian fabrics that a friend sent me. One of these days I'll find the right project for them.

Dawn said...

You really need to look close up to appreciate what they are. Great job. So after the longarm, where does it go? Are you keeping it or do you have a recipient in mind?