Sunday, October 30, 2016

Modern Quilt Studio

Recently I came across this website "Modern Quilt Studio" and found quite a few designs I liked, the more modern style is appealing to me more and more. The one below in particular caught my eye, and I had to have the magazine with the pattern which by the way, is oh so simple!
Although the colors are part of the appeal I think it could be terrific in many other colors and muted designs. I am planning to do a monotone of blues for middle grandson and wife's wedding quilt rather than the tumbling blocks which I have decided might be optical insanity in a king size quilt! Don't want to precipitate night time migraines, LOL.
This afternoon I made up a few sample blocks, introducing a print just because I like it so much.
I have other blues of varying intensity and am ordering a few more mostly FQ's which I rarely purchase but in this case I do not need to introduce a myriad of more blues to my stash.What looks like white  and out of place is a pale blue in reality and it looks ok, but I am not sure I will use it.
The blocks are fast to rotary cut [from templates] and quick to construct, two blocks measure 8.5"x11.25" so the whole top should be fast and simple. It looks contemporary enough for a very young couple [in their color of choice] and quilting too will be modern- the example is done in horizontal half inch lines, and I already know I will not be quilting that tight. We shall see what inspires me between now and the longarm!
If I can get a lot of the prep done the next couple of weeks I will be able to sit and piece after my foot surgery in two weeks. Since about October last year I have been battling foot pain, plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendinitis and a stress fracture and after months of therapy, ice, exercises etc I am ready to be free of this malady so it's off to a simple procedure to finally fix it.
The surgeon does it arthroscopic so it's a fast recovery, in the boot only two and a half weeks.
Meantime there are a couple of baby quilts coming from CA. that need to be quilted and a queen size that will be custom-not sure if it will all be done in two weeks but I will try!

1 comment:

Heather said...

I like that pattern, and it looks great in the blues. I agree about adding a few prints to keep it lively. It will make a wonderful gift.

Thanks for linking up with Needlework Tuesday.